Monday, August 6, 2007

Downloadable books

I just can't seem to get into the ebooks so far. It is one thing to get the downloadable audio books, but for those ebooks that you read on a little itty bitty screen--well, I just prefer the feel of the print.

The convenience of the ebooks I think comes in the portability. If you are taking an airplane flight, for instance, and don't want to lug a book in your carryon, you can load an ebook on your portable device, like a pocket pc. I actually downloaded some books that were only available in ebook format, but found reading them awkward and not as enjoyable and turning the page. I even tried some of the free ones from Gutenberg and universities, but alas, no appeal to me.

I'm all for technology and am receptive to many innovations, but the ebooks haven't progressed to the point where I feel like they are going to take over from print. I have every confidence that one day, someone will tinker with them and develop a format that will be more successful.

No comments: